How To Protect Your Identity
As you gear up for the holiday season – hanging Christmas decorations, planning trips, and shopping for gifts, taking steps to prevent fraud before it happens should be at the top of your list. Head into the holiday season relaxed and prepared!
8 Fraud prevention tips
1.Routine review of your account activity is important. Review your monthly bank statement, access your accounts online with our Online Banking and our CB2GO app. Inside our app, set yourself up to receive Text Alerts each time your card is used.
2.When shopping online, make sure to use caution on which webpage you visit. Criminals use fake internet sales sites, which are prevalent on social media pages. If a website is noted as an https://www site it is a Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure site – meaning everything communicated between your browser and the website is encrypted.
3.Develop a routine for safekeeping of your card:* Remember to obtain your card from the cashier or waitress* Remember not to leave your card in an ATM
* Make sure to place the card back in its assigned place before leaving or stowing away your wallet.
4.Never, never, never provide your debit card number/information to any caller. If there is a legitimate need to provide your card number over the phone, call the company to insure you are speaking to the right person. New scams are identified every day, and people are taken advantage of by the most innocent sounding people. Don’t let it happen to you!
5.Protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Choose a PIN that is not easy to guess – never use the last 4 numbers of your SSN, telephone number, birthday or card numbers. These are criminals’ first guesses to steal your PIN. Also, be sure to memorize this number, don’t write it down – especially on your card or in your wallet.
6.When using your debit card at the gas pump, try to use pumps that are more centered in front of the store and in view of station attendants – these are less likely to be tampered with. Be observant of the pump itself—if anything is out of the ordinary, do not swipe your card. Always be sure to request a receipt and make certain the transaction is completed before you drive away.
7.On social media channels, avoid using your birth date, home address, mother’s maiden name, schools you attended or pet’s name as your password—these are easily used by criminals to jeopardize your identity.
8.When it comes to keeping your personal and financial information safe, it’s important to be proactive. Carry only necessary information with you. Leave your social security card and other unused cards in a safe and secure location.
How is CB helping to prevent fraud?
- Our Fraud Center is monitoring card transactions 24/7. If any suspicious transactions are identified we will attempt to reach you via phone, text and email. Responding is easy, and if transactions are legitimate, your card will be working in no time.
- It is crucial we have an up-to-date phone number and email address on your account so you can be reached quickly!
- Save our Telephone Banking number in your phone in the event you need to cancel your debit card if lost or stolen after hours.
- When traveling out of state or out of the country, notify your local banking office so that notes can be added on your card. We want you to have a safe and enjoyable trip.